Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Interview: Paranormal Writer R.M. Garcia

I would like to welcome to the stage a rising star in the paranormal field, award winner R.M. Garcia.


Please tell us about yourself? 
I was born in NJ, but spent my childhood shifting back and forth from NJ to Puerto Rico and back. I have a Business Administration Degree from FMU. I moved to Florida in 1989. I enjoy Anime, Video games, MMORPGs, Roleplaying games, and any Paranormal movies.
Tell us your latest news?
I have just completed my 2nd Full title a followup to the award winning Foundlings called The Beasts Within.
When did you first consider yourself a writer?
The moment I had my first book in my hand. Until then it still seemed like a dream and not a reality.
When and why did you begin writing?
I have always written. I wrote quite a bit of poetry in high school. The idea for The Foundlings came to me in high school, but I didn’t start on the actual book until late 2010.

How can we find you?
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thefoundlings

Twitter: @RMGarciaAuthor

My Website: www.rmgarcia.com


Tell me a little about your book.
At its heart, The Foundlings is a love story. It takes place in a world where vampires exist. When one of the two young lovers is dragged into their world their love is put to the test. But then the reader is taken on a wild ride as more and more of the world is revealed, ultimately ending at the real reason why vampires exist.

What gave you the idea for this particular story?
I was into writing sad poems, and developed the idea for this vampire love story. I think I still have the original three pages that comprised the initial concept.

Are you a full-time writer or part-time, and how do you organize your writing time?
Right now I’m writing part time while I hold a full time 40-hour a week job.

When did you first know you wanted to be a writer?
After I finished the 1st full chapter and my beta reader said it was amazing, I knew this was my calling. I committed fully.

What do you hope readers will take from your writing?
I want the reader screaming at the pages or screen for more.

Which genres do you write, which do you prefer, and why?
My first novel would be considered an Urban paranormal fantasy, but I will be exploring sci-fi and fantasy settings in the near future.

What is the toughest part about being a writer and how do you get past it?
Making time to write. Life tends to get in the way, as does work.

Is there anything in your story based upon a real life event?
Yes. If so, tell me about it. Several of the jokes were taken from my real life experiences.

How much is your protagonist like you?
Donnie is a romantic, and so am I. How different? I have not experienced as much loss as the main character has, it shaped him.


Does writing violent or highly sexual scenes bother you?
Violence no. Romance yes. Why or why not? I have no issues with action or violence in my scenes, but until my first book, I had never written a love scene. I had a lot of research and reading to do before I wrote that scene.

What kind of research did you do for this type of story?
A LOT! I had to do a lot of World War II and Nazi Germany.


What about your book makes it special?
Every vampire story that I have read never goes into full detail as to where vampires come from, as to their purpose other than being a blood drinking monster. The vampires in The Foundlings have a diabolical reason for existing and they have an evil plan for the human race.

What is your marketing plan?
My first trilogy will actually be 6 books. Huh? Each book will be accompanied by a companion or mini book. In between books 2 and 3, I will be writing 6 monthly blog chapters covering material and characters that I didn’t fully go into. The collection of these 12 chapters will become a mini book to accompany book 3. These “Lost Chapters” will be available on my website for free.

Where can people learn more about you and your work?
They can visit either my webpage at www.rmgarcia.com or visit my facebook fanpage at http://www.facebook.com/thefoundlings

Any tips for new writers hoping to write in the genre of your book?
Develop your world first. Then populate it with the paranormal. Establish the rules of that world in your heart.
What books have influenced your life the most?
Ender's Game, it was the first book that completely blew my mind.

What inspired you to write your first book?
My love of vampires, and the lack of good stories as of late.
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Orson Scott Card, Piers Anthony, and David Eddings
Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Brenda Cothern
What are your current projects?
This summer I will begin on The Lab Infinitum.
What do you do when you’re not writing/editing or thinking about writing/editing?
I try to spend time with my girlfriend, play video games, and read. I also enjoy playing Heroclix.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I learned a lot about the publishing process of the industry. Funny enough it took three months to write my first book and six months to publish it.
Who is your publisher and how did you connect with them?
My first book was released thru Xlibris, but I discovered Createspace soon after.
Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
I am booked to appear at Umicon in Daytona, FL on September 7-9 and Necronomicon in St. Petersburg, FL on Oct 26-28.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Just getting started. That was by far the hardest thing to do, but once the bug hit me, I became hooked.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment